How to Read Debug Logs
Get the debug log (from POL v4)
To access the debug log of a POL compatible software, in the main GUI click on the name of the software, then on the left side click the 'Debug' button.
On the right side appears the debug of the last uses. You may copy/paste the latest one to show it to someone else.
There is two folders where you can find POL/POM log files:
- /home/you/.PlayOnLinux/logs/game_name/ is the place where is store the installation log file when the game (or any software) is installed. This is the file to look at if the installation failed.
- /home/you/PlayOnLinux's virtual drives/game_name/ is the place where is stored the log file of the game/software when launched/running. Note: you can delete this file, it will be recreated automatically each time you run (or try to) the software.
It is possible to hide all Wine errors: "Debug Flags: -all". This avoid the size of the log file to increase, and (sometimes) avoid some slowness for the storage device.
See also: Debug flags listed on the Wiki of winehq.org.
Read the debug log
wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000008 at address 0x43adae (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000008 in 32-bit code (0x0043adae).
CS:0023 SS:002b DS:002b ES:002b FS:0063 GS:006b
EIP:0043adae ESP:0032fd40 EBP:00b90004 EFLAGS:00210202( R- -- I - - - )
EAX:00000032 EBX:00000000 ECX:00000000 EDX:0000fffe
0x0032fd40: 00439cf4 00a8df9e 00b9cccc 00000000
0x0032fd50: 00439bb4 0032fd88 00abceca 00000102
0x0032fd60: 0000013c 00000020 0043778c 00437848
0x0032fd70: 00000000 00000001 10042134 10042130
0x0032fd80: 00000001 0032fd90 00000006 00416611
0x0032fd90: 004452d6 00000000 00000001 00000001
For this kind of error log, the issue (it's a internal crash) is related to Wine not to POL.
Here are the best steps to follow:
- Try to use a newer Wine version inside POL (try up to the latest stable available in POL).
- If the issue occurs when installing the software you want, you may try to use a newer Wine version but this need some manual operations: copy the script (if from our website, find it into 'supported software') into a '.pol' (text) file. Edit it with a text editor software in order to change the Wine version, save it. From POL, do load the script as a file (Menu 'Tools' -> 'Run a local script').
- After the tests above, you may search for help at https://winehq.org Note: the Playonlinux log will not be accepted there. You will have to reproduce the issue with Wine only (with a recent Wine version), in order to get a clean log.
The entry point method could not be loaded due to Could not load file or assembly 'PresentationFramework, Version=18.104.22.168, ...' or one of its dependencies.
This error message in the log mean that installation of Microsoft DotNet 4.0 is required.
002c:err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin L"X3DAudio1_7.dll": libFAudio.so.0:
Should (POL v4, 2019) be fixable by installing: POL_Install_xact
File(s) missing in your OS:
DOSBox: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
In this example DOS is missing the file 'libpng12.so.0' in your OS (for this file, look: Troubleshooting Common Problems).